Tuesday, 13 March 2012

Spring is here?!

Sorry guys, I decided to cram in my whole weekend into one entry this time. I do apologize if I ramble on too much (as I tend to do in life - just ask the boyfriend).

Instead of partying it up on Friday night, I opted out for some good ol' baking. Yeah, you heard right. Obvious choice of entertainment for when the roommate's out and the boyfriend's stuck at work. Duh. I decided to bake up a healthier variation of one of my favorites: banana bread. 

The trick to less fat is to substitute the sugar (and I'm assuming partly the texture of the butter) with ... wait for it ... apple sauce! I found the original recipe from Kim Eggleston on about.com and added some of my own personal touches.
  • 1/4 cup sugar (I substituted this with brown sugar and only did 1/3 cup)
  • 2 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 cup ripe bananas, mashed 
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used all whole wheat flour instead)
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp of baking powder (this is my own personal addition)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract (this is my own personal addition as well)
Soften the butter and mix it with the sugar. Then add in the egg with the unsweetened applesauce and fold in the mashed bananas. In a separate bowl, mix the flour with baking soda and powder, salt, and vanilla extract. Then, add the flour mixture in with the banana mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix until its a moistened batter. Lightly coat the loaf pan with butter and pour in the mixture. Bake at 350F for 50 minutes to an hour. Allow the loaf to cool for about 5 minutes after it's ready and then serve :)

After my baking rendevous on Friday night, I decided to start early on Saturday by going to a hot yoga class at Yogatree up at Spadina and Richmond. I bought a new-comer 30 day unlimited pass for $40+tax (pretty good deal I must say!) - I try to go as much as I can but I've only managed to average about 3 times a week so far. The trek there on foot is a workout on its own, especially when it's -20C out. I find hot yoga to be especially good for not only detoxing but also building my upper body strength (which is currently btw, weak hah). It also helps me relax the muscles in my lower back, which is especially beneficial after my runs.

To replenish, I decided to make good use of my juicer and fixed up a juice introduced to me by my good friend Denise..beets, carrots, and apples. I think the redness of the juice would deter most, but it is absolutely delicious! I supplemented the juice with an Active Green Organic Food Bar.

My Sunday consisted of finally committing to my good pal Wayne on running with him outdoors. The weather was absolutely beautiful (for Toronto at least) - 14C, sunny, and blue skies all day. We met up at Spadina and Queensquay and embarked on a 10K run by the lake. It was great to see so many runners out that day - extra motivation!



(I love this Nike+ app!)

...And the run was, in return, rewarded with a dinner at Earl's...

Maple Glazed Salmon Salad with green beans, warm butternut squash, farro (anyone heard of this before? it's now kind of my new favorite), goat cheese, organic greens, and spinach, with lemon honey vinaigrette dressing on the side. 
And that was essentially my weekend in a nutshell. I know I promised to whisk up a fun and healthy dish for you guys this week but I got caught up with all the errands thatI had to do this weekend. Fingers crossed...next weekend?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment